Thursday, November 11, 2010

the horror part one.

If any of you followed my old blog you might remember these scary movie reviews by Diego Bergia called, The Horror. The concept was that Diego would rate the top 5 films of a decade accompanied by a brief synopsis. His posts were really well received and a stellar guide to vintage horror watching so it was a shame when they disappeared with my previous blog. It's Diego's big one man show/ book launch tonight at Toronto's Magic Pony Gallery and I thought it fitting to put up his original post as a bit of a tribute. Enjoy it again.

HOR

One day when I was seven or eight my mom walked in while I was in bathroom and started freaking out. I was stabbing a hard-boiled egg over and over with a cocktail sword yelling "DIE!!!...DIE!!!..". It's pretty understandable why it was so uneasy to her, thinking back on it now it almost sounds serial killer. But what she didn't know is that I had just painted a Jason mask on the egg, and I was pretending to be Tommy Jarvis from the end of Friday the 13th part 4. That's all.
This is the first of five installments, I will be talking about my top 5 favorite horror movies from each decade beginning with the 60's.
-Diego

+++ The 60's +++
This is as old-school as i really like to get. I love slasher films mostly, gritty gross feeling stuff. Anything before the 1960's doesn't really do it for me.

+ Psycho + 1960
I won't be posting too many "classics" on my lists, but Psycho deserves being here. It holds up incredibly, Alfred Hitchcock was a master.
Just see it.
+ What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? + 1962
People could argue this being a horror movie, but it really gets under my skin. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford play a pair of sisters who were once child actresses. Now they're grown up share and a home together, one of them is totally insane.
+ Two Thousand Maniacs! + 1964
Hershell Gordon Lewis is the Godfather of gore. In this second installment of the Blood Trilogy, two carloads of teenagers drive through the redneck southern town of Pleasant Valley. To their surprise, there is a celebration about to begin. They stick around for the party.
+ Repulsion + 1965
Roman Polanski isn't allowed in the U.S.A. anymore. This is his first english language film,
about a sexually repressed girl who slowly loses her mind over the course of a weekend, with homicidal results.
+ Night of the Living Dead + 1968
George A. Romero invented the zombie movie with this one, and pretty much set the standard for modern horror films. Slow zombies, the way they should be.

1 comment:

  1. yes. makes me want to actually see all these movies! Unlike most movie reviews that make me hate them!

    ReplyDelete